Friday 30 March 2012

Designing and teaching

The head is down once again as I put the mystery class for AQC Melbourne into action - and I have less than 2 weeks! The world heritage listed Royal Exhibition Building is such a great source of applique inspiration with fascinating history as well. Visit the link as there is a virtual tour. I have plans for a cushion, table runner and quilt....so there is little time for idleness in this household! But little Beau continues to entrance us - he is such a precious time waster. We have our first "official" babysitting duty on Saturday night...bliss!

 Father and son fast asleep.......
Last weekend we had an enjoyable time in New South Wales at the Hawkesbury quilting retreat. I feel lucky to be involved in this wonderful event which has been going for 21 years! Last year was my first, and this year several girls returned with completed 'Arabesque' quilts. These belong to Phyllis, Jeanette, Carol, and Julie (I think as this is by memory as I lost my piece of paper with the girls names!). They are all subtly different and all looked stunning - thanks girls and hope my memory is correct!



The girls this year thought they were doing the Arts and Crafts Sampler. They were but I also designed another nine surprise blocks so they had a choice of 18 designs all together. Here are just five of them (and all based on Art Nouveau tiles). I only had time to do the drawings so it was great to see them in fabric....


So this brings me to my final note on teaching. I had already mentioned in a previous post that changes are ahead for me..........please understand that this was not an easy decision as it is so hard for me to say"NO"! I have had bookings in place for the next 12 -18 months for well over a year, so extras have snuck in while I await confirmation. I have placed a note on my calendar page:

Important message: I am sorry but I am not taking any more bookings for 2012 or 2013. I am looking at reducing my teaching significantly (for my health and sanity!) and plan to only do 2 or 3 teaching engagements a year. Sorry to disppoint but it means more time for designing, writing and family.
So my William Morris rose helps me to say  I am sorry if I say No to your request. Thank you for your understanding. I look forward to the UK William Morris tours (which look like happening every year as 2013 is already half booked out!), and to desiging more fabrics and quilts.
Take care wherever you are X

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your openness and honesty Michele - I can just about hear you wavering and thinking "oh I'll fit that one in and won't let them down". Stick to your guns girl, you have given enough!

    Gorgeous wee boy, great cheeks to nuzzle - have fun Saturday - bet you will be pooped on Sunday!

    Lovely rose - a late bloom to enjoy.

    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Lovely Lady. Just looking at your beautiful little man is all the reason anyone needs to understand why you would want to slow down, as well as your health. Without good health you can't enjoy the good things in Life. Family, quilting and family!
    Enjoy your extra freedom and look forward to hearing how you fill in the time. Much luv to you and the family,

    JulieAnn

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for dropping by and sharing in my journey. And thanks especially for your lovely comments….I may not always respond (especially if there is no email address) but please know you are appreciated x