Monday 9 July 2012

Embroidery meets quilts

I am still here.......I am back in Adelaide for a few days with loads of preparation required before we hit the road for 5 weeks of workshops in NSW and Victoria in 10 days! But first I am returning to Brisbane for a 2nd time in 2 weeks!
Thanks to all the girls who came to the classes at the Koala Convention in Brisbane. Not all workshops went ahead so I have flown home for a few days and then I head back to Brisbane again on Tuesday for workshops with Queensland Quilters. In the meantime I've managed to come down with a sore throat, swollen glands and a runny nose "woe is me".....

As some of you know I have been exploring Morris embroideries closely and my next project is to be a quilt covered in Morris style thread work - I think! My inspiration started with these amazing tablecloths that I was lucky enough to purchase a couple of years ago from Peppergreen Antiques in Berrima which has sadly closed due to both owners passing away. I have been searching for nearly two years now for the right kind of threads. I now have a collection of rayons and silks so when time permits I will be experimenting. Here you can see close-ups of the thread work on the antique cloths I purchased and also a piece of the embroidery thread that is braided - I so wish I could still get it....




My wish is to reproduce some of the embroidered screens that can be seen at Carrick Hill here in my home town. The stitches look very simple - maybe short and long stitch, chain stitch and stem stitch. This a little detail from the Carrick hill website of one of the screens......

(Must mention I was thrilled to see that  there is now a Carrick Hill blog!)

So I am sending this info to all the girls from the Brisbane class and to you who read the blog and may be interested - I promised to share in some stitches from Phyl's wonderful applique which I have shown before on the blog....have fun deciding on what stitches she used and then the last images are from some of my own work "in progress"










and a wee bit of my work.........I am loving two rows of chain stitch - one inside the applique and one outside....then whip the two centre circles of chain

 Great on some felted wool projects.....


Take care wherever you are X
(he is such a serious soul!)

3 comments:

  1. Oh all that texture and color is stunning! What a darling little grandson you have. I know you'll be glad to get back home and see him. Have a good trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sue Spargo is selling a 100% silk cordonnet (twist) embellishing thread
    which may be similar to what you are looking for.

    Love the applique with the two rows of chain stitch, adds a nice texture to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your work! I'm excited that I can now frame the custom t shirt prints!

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for dropping by and sharing in my journey. And thanks especially for your lovely comments….I may not always respond (especially if there is no email address) but please know you are appreciated x