Sunday 7 October 2012

We are in the USA!

Destination USA - our very first visit with first stop being Boston, Massachusetts. We arrived late last night after a 7 and a half hour flight from the UK. We are staying in the hotel that our tour leaves from on Monday - it is in the heart of Boston and built in the 1920's. Check the website to see more of the art deco design and history: The Boston Park Plaza. ...it has over 940 rooms! There is no fridge in our room which was the same in the UK (quite a pain as I have to store one of my medications in it)....so once again I expected I would have to make the trip to reception to get it...but here in the US the response was...."no problem ma'am - we will deliver a fridge to your room!" So first impressions....everyone is so friendly and welcoming from the taxi driver to all the hotel staff. Despite all that I was grumpy and tired and my back did not like the flight...so another 'dummy spit' and 'I just want to go home' before we hit the sack.......need a good sleep! We woke this morning to this view from our window...........

 ....this is the lobby on our floor (9th)


 and the reception lights and breakfast bar..........


Still feeling tired and weary we headed out to see the sights - we are in a great location as the hotel is in the heart of the city.......

Below was the first sight I saw through a store window across the road.........it was a sign for me to pull myself together and be grateful for this once in a lifetime opportunity!! So Vicki I am doing this for you girl as I know you yearn so much to take this trip.....no more whining from me and you will be with me every step of the way.....!!!
 This incredible furniture shop was amazing - the textiles are to die for.........
 Check out their website and a favourite chair: Circle Furniture

I ventured in to the store because the staff were waving at me taking photos through the window....they were so friendly and inviting and I was told that this bench seat is made from felted wool....if only it would fit in a suitcase!
So some more sights as we walked, and walked and walked.......
 and then the American flags flying everywhere started to make me feel a little excited......for you again Vicki (and Sophie too as I know you would love to be here!)......
(Larry holding more stuff to post home....don't need the warm clothes anymore)




The following photos are from the spectacular Boston Library....









What a great place to read.......


I couldn't find any history in the library about these paintings from scenes of King Arthur.......


And just a few more sights on our walk......







The Autumn leaves are beautiful so more sights tomorrow X

1 comment:

  1. Hello,

    try to go to the Boston Museum of Fine Art it is my most favourite Museum in the world, I went there all the time when I lived there (in South Weymouth) and you must go to Plymouth you will love it.

    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for dropping by and sharing in my journey. And thanks especially for your lovely comments….I may not always respond (especially if there is no email address) but please know you are appreciated x