Saturday 23 January 2016

Final Tokyo Quilt Festival post

Enjoy these final quilts………..













































And there were a couple of Beatrix Potter quilts that I missed yesterday………


 It has been an amazing experience and I am in awe of the skills and patience of Japanese quilters. I had a very special moment today as I handed over my hand-made scissor fobs to the 20 makers of the William Morris and Beatrix Potter quilts. It was my way of sharing a mutual love and reaching out with an Australian thank-you for putting on such a wonderful display …………

 With the assistance of Jean and her great knowledge of the language I was able to leave the gifts with the gracious and talented Yoko Saito to pass on. It was wonderful to meet her in person and I received a personally signed copy of her brand new book too……a truly humble and warm hearted quilter and I was so glad Jean could tell her how overwhelmed I was with the Beatrix Potter quilts that she and her group made……
How lucky am I? More tomorrow x (And our thoughts are with those of you in America affected by the blizzards - stay safe)

9 comments:

  1. Thank you for taking sooo many photos and sharing them!!! What an exquisite display of quilts and hand work! Truly inspiring!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely and thoughtful gift you made for those quilters. Well done. And these photographs!!! well done as well.... so special to see the many types of quilts that are made for this show. I have only been through them once but will be back when I have more time. Again thank you, without your posts I would know and see none of this fab quilting/sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing all these wonderful photos from the show - I continue to be amazed at the wonderful hand work of the Japanese quilters I am in awe of them and know I can never hand quilt like they do. To meet Yoko Saito! my hand quilting heroine LOL - I love her work and enjoy looking at anything I see of hers but yet I do not own a book of hers, I must get one so I can look at her designs whenever I want to. Have a safe flight home Michele!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing these photos. Yoko Saito's work is beyond stunning!! I have become so awestruck by her work that I ordered a couple of her books from Japan. Surprisingly, they arrived in about a week. How great that you are able to attend the Tokyo quilt show! The Japanese needlework abilities are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing the photos! Enjoyed as I watch the snow blowing sideways at 40 mph outside.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The details - oh my! Thank you for making this real for us with your great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for taking all these photos and then posting them on your blog. It must have taken ages! I looked through them last night, but am still thinking about all the work involved in making these amazing quilts. They really are on a whole different level to what we see in Australia / New Zealand, and probably USA too. So many quilters I meet (both in real life and online) say "hand quilting!!! I don't have time for that". Everyone seems to be in rush to just get things finished so they can start on the next quilt. The Japanese women must have spent months and months working on these quilts to make them so exquisite. I'm sure they enjoyed the experience of making the quilts, and the finished products are just stunning. Thank you for sharing your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am in awe of the hand work in the quilts Michele, and can't imagine the time it took. Thanks for the time you spend so that we can share in your trip. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for these! I love the fact that you show details as well.

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for dropping by and sharing in my journey. And thanks especially for your lovely comments….I may not always respond (especially if there is no email address) but please know you are appreciated x