Monday 16 May 2016

A belly full of laughs

It has indeed been a weekend full of laughter and what great therapy that is! Blogging has been difficult as I had no reception for a few days so a quick catch up on our journey to Tocal College for the Maitland Patchwork Quilter's May retreat. As we left Parkes on Friday we made a quick detour to the famous Parkes Observatory fondly know as "The Dish" made famous by the Movie of the same name………..

 It was quite incredible to stand at one dish and whisper across to Larry in the other dish way over in the distance. We could hear each other like we were standing side by side……….
 We will definitely go back later this week to spend more time there…….
 We stopped for lunch in Dunedoo in a wonderful retro cafe……….





 Not sure if there was a bushfire in the distance or just burning off…….


And then we finally arrived for a weekend of wining, dining, quilting and laughing. The first night included an entertainer - not my most favourite of singers but he was actually an amazing magician who I was told also spends time being a clown in children's hospitals. He certainly had us laughing till our sides hurt………

 not so sure about an accordion being played through the nose though……..

 After the laughter the lovely Robyn celebrated her birthday in style……...

 My classroom was huge and the views from the windows just spectacular……….







And this was the view from my bedroom as I arose each morning……..
Throughout the weekend I was rewarded with the most amazing show and tell including some of my designs……….
 On Saturday evening I came to realise how talented this group is with so many quilts being hand pieced…... 



 Pat was in my class and she has already produced several of my designs from the William Morris books, and in such beautiful colours……...

 I think Mary might be the oldest student that I've had and with the help of her daughter she did go home with a little completed project……..
 A beautiful version of Lessa Siegele's Rajah quilt and in Lessa's favourite colours of blue and white too…..



 Barbara's beautiful version of my William Morris Floral Sampler……...
 and I love this whimsical quilt of Robyn's….the navy and white spotted background was gorgeous…….
 And then there was the Saturday night entertainment. I think this is where spouses and sons and daughters might disown their mothers - glad Larry was in his room watching the footy! During the day small groups had to collect a list of items………...
 And then they had to dress their selected model in the found items……'frivolous fashion fun'……Amy was in our group and did us proud with her baby tummy……..


 So an enormous thank you to the Maitland Patchwork Quilters group…..for all your organisation, hospitality and all the laughs. Thanks to everyone who joined me in class and above all to the committee for rewarding me with honorary membership….see you all next July when I can come and sit and sew with you all! Last night we were thoroughly spoilt with a night in Barbara and Alan's beautiful home where they even managed to put on a spectacular sunset for us………..
So today we are in Newcastle…...more news of that in a few days. Hope all is well in your part of the world x

4 comments:

  1. A wonderful blog record of your time at MPQ May weekend Michele. We had a ball and thoroughly enjoyed your laughter and friendship in quilting. You are an amazing and gifted quilter who is so generous in the way you share all you can for the love of quilting. Can't wait for your return next July as a fellow MPQ quilter!!!! Safe trip home. XXX Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. The show and share quilts are amazing. So much work and so many of them all together. It has to be gratifying to see your designs in person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. so love seeing the photos of your travels!! the photo of the rocks split in two look like twin towers of rock and so unusual. and then the quilts in the workshop - I love all of those too. I had to look at my patterns to see if I had one of them it looked so familiar and of course I do and now I wish to start another quilt lol. I really need to wait a couple months :) too many going on right now. We saw the movie Dish - but didn't realize where it was.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a great event, an amazing group of quilters, and lovely scenery. Love those photos! Thank you for sharing your world with us. Morris quilts second only to God's handiwork.

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for dropping by and sharing in my journey. And thanks especially for your lovely comments….I may not always respond (especially if there is no email address) but please know you are appreciated x