Sunday 1 January 2017

A New year to look forward to

Today marks the start of 2017 and with a New Year we so often reflect on the past.....so it seems fitting to also reflect on one of Morris's quotes........
The past makes us what we are but sometimes that can be challenging especially with events beyond our control. Our state has once again suffered from more horrific weather and some friends were without power for over 40 hours. This was the front page of our paper a few days ago.......
Those words say it all really...."How Much More"?? Our thoughts are with those affected financially with the loss of so much......
These were some of the images from the media that demonstrated the aftermath.......


But it is now time to plan the year ahead. First of all a huge thankyou to so many of you who have registered interest in the  William Morris in Adelaide Event.......I am little overwhelmed with 56 of you registering interest! 12 are from previous Whitecroft tours so that will be wonderful. We would like to keep the groups to about 15 so I think we might have to add the month of August in 2018 as well...always pretty at springtime with bulbs and blossoms......
 Speaking of blossoms......I've had some unused pots for many years so a few days ago I decided to try some fuchsias once again and the potted colour is lovely........

 While shopping before Christmas I also spied this very cheap foot stool to go with my outdoor seat and such a bargain at $29!........
 The second flush of rose blooms are just appearing so some are enjoyed inside........
 And I am now on version FIVE (😝) of the felt Peter Rabbit! It has been so hard to get him right but I think I have at last This was my first 'new' rabbit but his jacket is way too bulky so I might have to try and knit one........it was used on the somewhat ordinary rabbits made some time ago.........
 These were the old sad looking ones (with the devilled eye one now in the bin!!).......
And this is the very final version! he needs some whiskers and then he will be ready to play on the bed runner as soon as I have finished all that hand quilting........





 My year is planned and this will be the very final year of teaching. My last event is in Christchurch New Zealand in October at the National Quilt Symposium and what a great privilege to teach at this event with over 18 international tutors coming from far and wide including the UK, US, South Africa and even Denmark. There are 30 tutors from New Zealand and 21 of us from Australia - WOW! So to all my friends across the ditch this will be the last time I am doing classes so I might see you there! So it is quilts that brings me to the end of this posting. First of all from Wiep in the Netherlands. Wiep never received her Stitching with Beatrix Potter book in the post (I guess someone else helped themselves to it!!). Anyway I of course immediately posted another with a gift of a Peter Rabbit scissor fob that you can see in her photos.. Wipe has certainly been very busy and how wonderful these blocks are......especially her own adaptations....thankyou so much Wiep for allowing me to share your photos here........










 And Debbie sent me an email to tell me she was very excited to be starting since she received her book........thanks Debbie!..... 
So to those of you reading this, we wish you a very Happy, Healthy and Safe year ahead x

3 comments:

  1. Happy New Year to both you and Larry.
    There is a group of us from Tauranga travelling to Christchurch this October for the Quilt Symposium and I am looking forward to catching up with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle I took a Christmas break but now I have caught up on my blogging reading. How well feted you were for your big birthday and so glad you have your new year teaching plans all sorted. Your photos of flowers and warmth are lovely especially as I look out on a winter wonderland from every window. I think it must be the best thing to see what people make of your wonderful designs; what pleasure they are bringing. Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seeing those Beatrix Potter figures takes me back 60 years and time with my Gaga.

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for dropping by and sharing in my journey. And thanks especially for your lovely comments….I may not always respond (especially if there is no email address) but please know you are appreciated x