Tuesday 4 April 2017

A Grand farewell from Illawarra

Before I start I must warn you this post is an overload of images.....you always know when I am excited by the number of photos!! (And remember to click on them for larger images). Late yesterday I had the two hour flight home from Sydney and it is always so lovely to see my man waiting for me and grinning from ear to ear as I walk up the aerobridge ❤ But before I had even boarded the plane in Sydney I did not know the treats that were awaiting me! The girls had me all packed up early and with much excitement this was our morning coffee stop......

Hazlehurst  is a veritable feast for the senses from the gardens, the coffee and the art. It was drizzling with rain but this outdoor wall mural certainly brightened the day..........

And inside did not disappoint especially seeing this exhibition titled The Art of Dinosaur Designs from Louise Olsen and Stephen Ormandy. I was thrilled to see the 'Photography Welcome' sign so went for it! Such wonderful colour and all made from resin........





As we were leaving I noticed through the window some budding artists taking tuition........
We drove closer to Sydney and when we stopped for lunch my heart simply leapt for joy at the most amazing oasis of sheer pleasure! I cannot begin to describe what an incredible place this is but I think all my photos will give you an idea! It is simply called The Grounds and is located in Alexandria not far from the Sydney airport. It is a mixture of bohemia, retro/vintage quirkiness and ultimate sensory happiness in the form of flowers, coffee, humour and deliciousness to the extreme! 
 There are many places to eat and several outdoor areas as well. The food while mostly healthy is also decadent and joyful..........

 and look at the size of those croissants against my nobbly finger........
 I asked a couple of staff of the history of it all and learnt that it was built on an old industrial site of one acre that was used in the 1920's for tanneries, wool washing factories and market gardens. The aim was to have an urban oasis that would include a sustainable garden, coffee roasters and cafes and it was completed in 2012. I also learnt that apart from all the catering staff there are two full time horticulturists and two full time stylists.....and boy does that show........

An Easter cake in the fridge and a whopping big Easter egg in the garden........



 The florist stall was full of the most beautiful perfumed blooms and this enormous posy was waiting for one lucky person........ 




 As you enter you are greeted by this macaw and when I went back later he or she was busy sharpening his or her beak on a chunk of cuttlefish........


 There is even a place for animals.......
 and what a grand floor Kevin has.........



 I found some rest rooms in a stable and loved the 'fillies' and 'stallions' choice.......

 The roof top garden was bulging.........
 As we left some of us noticed this plant which up close revealed this stunning bloom......
 I am left with special memories of my journey to the airport and I thank the girls (Roslyn, Glenda and Anne) for treating me to this wonderful experience....thankyou girls xxx Even as we walked back to the carpark we saw magnolias growing in front of office blocks and a colourful fellow with big ears that I captured through the car window to remind us again that Easter is just around the corner. So thankyou for visiting the blog and sharing my enormous smile!

6 comments:

  1. Looks like a fantastic place to visit xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a fantastic place to wander through, you could spend hours I bet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am now officially living vicariously through you so all the photos are essential to my experience!
    Amazing sights and eats too. You/I loved it all. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fabulous - I am glad! I hope Canada is finally giving you some sunshine Jocelyn! xx

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! What a fabulous place The Grounds is. Your photos are excellent. My absolutely favorite one is that of the table with drawers with the magnificent flowers above it. The food looks luscious,too.

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for dropping by and sharing in my journey. And thanks especially for your lovely comments….I may not always respond (especially if there is no email address) but please know you are appreciated x